WARNING: This video contains graphic content and may be upsetting to some people
Throughout the years, there has always been that one toy that every child wishes to have. Today, “slime” is making its way to children’s households where children are making their own gooey toy. More and more children are trying to make their own “slime,” and it can be fatally dangerous.
Homemade slime usually calls for water, glue and Borax, a household cleaner. Kids love squeezing and kneading the squishy mess, but the DIY magic isn’t all fun and games. Several children have suffered horrific injuries after making the goo, and all signs pointed to Borax, a mineral also called sodium borate.
“Borax can cause burns, especially when you touch it multiple times,” Dr. Robin Jacobson, a pediatrician at NYU Langone Medical Center says. “When you’re mixing it up, Borax can get in the air and irritate your airways. If kids put their hands in their mouths by mistake, it could be toxic.”
If you take a look at YouTube, the most viewed videos are those that teach anybody how to make the gooey toy without having to buy expensive ones from stores. Hundreds of videos are popping up on YouTube with the newest craze kids showing how to make slime or Gak with Borax, which is used as a cleaning product or pesticide. Some children suffer nothing but sticky fingers, but the rare but severe injuries point to a much bigger danger.
“There are not going to be burns in the mouth or blisters in the mouth but a lot of kids who ingest a lot of it can start to throw up and have stomach discomfort and pain,” Dr. Richard Uluski said, as a warning to parents about the toy.
Health experts are warning parents to keep children away from DIY slime, or at least supervise their children when playing with harmful materials.